Saturday, June 12, 2010

Abby Sunderland Rescued - CBS News

Source: CBS News

A French fishing vessel rescued a California teenager Saturday from her crippled sailboat in the turbulent southern Indian Ocean... Her parents have come under criticism from some observers for allowing the high-risk adventure.

My take on the situation: This young woman appears to be a competent sailor. Had God been willing, she would have completed her journey. I agree with the comments of her father, Laurence, in defense of the voyage: "I never questioned my decision in letting her go," he told reporters Friday. "In this day and age we get overprotective with our children. If you want to look at statistics, look at how many teenagers die in cars every year. Should we let teenagers drive cars? I think it'd be silly if we didn't."

I would add that many of these same critics would have no problem issuing this same girl a uniform and a rifle at age eighteen and sending her off to Afghanistan or Iraq to fight their wars for them. When comparing these situations, a difference of two years means little to nothing.

Why Has the Left Been So Silent on Afghanistan? - CBS News